Monday, February 16, 2009

Youth Gathering 2008 Reflection

The 2008 Youth Gathering was held in Grand Bahama. Rev. Stacia Christmas and other chaperones conducted the gathering. It consisted of youth from Freeport, Nassau, Andros and the Turks and Caicos Island.
The first two days of youth gathering was no fun. Everyone complained because they were not use to sleeping on floors or bathing outside. Nonetheless, what would youth gathering be without some arguments?
However everyone adapted to the new surroundings and began to enjoy himself or herself. We shared in activities such as exercise, bible study, and other sessions whether on health or crime. Everyday held something new for us.
The late nights at youth gathering were extremely fun. I personally thought it was those nights we shared the most amongst ourselves, because no adults were present. We played games, shared stories that brought about a lot of laughter. However, those late night did not do any of us justice, because at 5am sharp, I mean sharp, came Rev. Stacia blowing her whistle up and down until everyone was wide awake. Everyone mumbled and grumbled in the morning because we hardly slept.
The night that truly brought all of the youth together was the night before we were scheduled to leave. That night, we had a closing service where everyone participated, whether in dance, song or telling a simple story. We also had a group come in to do a skit, which showed us that life without God is the wrong way. It also talked about drugs, losing lives and how friends try to keep us from God.
This skit touched the heart of every youth. At the end of the skit, they asked if there were anyone wanting to give their lives to God to come forward, so they can pray for us.
One by one many of the youth went up. Even I did. It was like the Holy Spirit filled my heart and said “Do not be afraid,” that he knew my troubles and that he would never leave me. Tears were rolling down my eyes and the eyes of my fellow youth. Nevertheless, it did not end there. A second question was asked, “Who ever thinks about committing suicide please come forward.” Believe it or not two, young persons went up. I was so surprised to see this. It truly opened my eyes to see that young people could be going through so much to make them even consider suicide. After everyone was prayed for, the service came to an end leaving everyone a new person, a saved person.
The night was still young and we did celebrate. We roasted marsh mellows and hot dogs on a bon fire we made. Rev. Mark Christmas got his share of fun. Cake was smashed in his face. Rev. Stacia was next, but she escaped before we could get to her.
Time went by so fast, leaving us hoping and praying that the next day would stay away, giving us few more minutes to have a good laugh.
Even though youth gathering was only for one week, within that week, a family was created. Long lasting friendships developed making us one. Morning came and it was time for the Turks and Caicos delicates to leave causing us to cry, not wanting them to go. The day was full of sadness as each group departed.
I truly enjoyed youth gathering. It was a time I got to truly express myself, making brothers and sisters in Christ and leaving with God in my heart. When I returned home I was praying and begging my mother to send me back to Freeport, so I could go back to my new friends, not wanting the memories to fade.

Written by Marcia Nesbitt
Nassau Circuit

No comments: